Re: [OM] If You Must . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] If You Must . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 02:21:57 -0800
On 1/11/2020 11:14 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

On 11 Jan 20, at 05:11, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/9/2020 10:18 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
<>
Do you shoot Raw (DNG file type) with yours? The capability is built in. Apple
chooses not to use it in their Camera App. But several other apps do. I mostly
used Camera+
I had not realised that you could shoot Raw with my iPhone

Well, I can't, unless one of us makes a long trip ;-)  But you can. The basic version of Adobe LR for iPhone is free, and does take Raw/DNG photos. On the SE, AFIK, all Raw shots are equal, as the app just accesses Apple's built in capability. But one of the paid ones may do something extra.

LR and many others are also editors, but I don't know anything about that. I edit on the computer with the big screen and full octane editors.

The possible improvement is not as great as Halide on the later models, but
still considerable.

People, in decentlight.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/BFFs.htm
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/BFFs.htm>>
I agree, there is quite a difference.

I think it makes the difference between  only good on the phone screen and good
enough to do a decent print.

Substantial improvement, to my eye. Not up to Helicon on the latest phones, but
worthwhile.

An amazing sunset, where I was lucky we were heading West and I was in the passengerseat.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/Inferno.htm
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/Inferno.htm>>
The difference with Topaz Clear is interesting.  I’ve not used Topaz for a
while, finding it rather clunky.

Oops, mislabeled, not the old Clear, but the new Clear AI, a part of Topaz Denoise AI. Yes, they certainly are clunky, if used from LR. Looks like with Capture One, it's similar, shipping the file to Topaz, where it is then saved to disk.

Not really clunky in PS, but many of the Topaz AI products are wildly computationally intensive, and thus slow, even with a fast, multi core processor and decent GPU. They do allow you to process just the preview window, to see what happens. Processing a full size file in Denoise takes a couple of minutes (or does it just seem that long?) Clear AI is much faster.

The thing is, though, that often, one or the other works with a particular level/type of noise and the other works poorly. I was just processing some foliage today with quite noticeable noise @ 100%. Denoise nailed it, Clear made it worse. I'm getting better at predicting which will work best.

The payoff for this fussing is usually simply better NR than anything else, often way better. It even makes lots of files a littler clear/sharper, even with the Sharpen option at zero.

The big thing here is holding the highlights.

Take a photo of an Irish country pub in midday sun, and the difference issmall.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/pGQk2ZzaqqTPELbK8
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/pGQk2ZzaqqTPELbK8>>
But did you try the Guinness?  If you compare Guinness in Ireland with that drunk
elsewhere you’ll wonder why it is so much better in its home country.

I am not a fan of stouts. I had my obligatory Guinness in a perfect pub for it, out in the middle of nowhere, and designed for drinking only, with no food but crisps, and with a number of locals working at the job. It's not awful, or anything, but doesn't please me, either. I do like the stews made with it. :-)

The pub pictured, in Connemara, had both excellent food and a fine West Coast style IPA they made themselves. An excellent stop.

Transparent Brews Moose