Re: [OM] Magic in the Digital Darkroom

Subject: Re: [OM] Magic in the Digital Darkroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 22:29:31 -0800
On 1/9/2020 8:17 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Just to clarify, did you sharpen with Stabilize then Focus or were they
separate sharpenings. Stabilize vs Focus?

On 1/9/2020 8:28 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Also, Sharpen AI has a suppress noise slider, so wondering if the initial
Denoise AI is redundant?

Impressive, a tour de force. Masterful sequential use of powerful tools.

Yow! Thanks!

I have the same question as Wayne.

The Topaz AI apps are powerful, but also confusing. Sharpen has three separate
processing options, with different aims:

Sharpen: Seems to focus on edge contrast? Sort of like USM, but without halos. On images that are otherwise sharp, but have motion blur, it seems sometimes to do almost nothing.

Stabilize: As it says, it works to correct motion blur. The beauty, compared to Focus Magic, Fix OoF Blur it that it's not only automagic, but works locally, so motion in different directions in different parts of the image are corrected. This is the most powerful and useful for most of my long tele shots, particularly of stuff that moves.

Focus: This attempts to correct missed focus. Kinda, sorta like Focus Magic, it
can correct for some lens failings

Each of these Modes then come with three sliders, Remove Blur, Suppress Noise,
and Add Grain.

Then, Denoise AI has two processing options, Denoise and Clear. And, guess what? Three options within each. and guess what? One choice in each is "Enhance Sharpness" Denoise is pure magic up to about ISO 800, on my cameras. Clear is a different kind of magic for higher noise levels. Clear obviously does some other stuff to make noisy image look better, generally all good, whereas Denoise only affects noise. Look at the night iPhone sample I just posted to see how much better Clear is with lots of noise. <www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Halide/Salad.htm>

So, if one has all the AI apps, the number of permutations is unmanageable.

Working on the assumption that, as these apps are designed to be sold individually, functions overlap for completeness, I have chosen to assume that each is optimized to perform its primary function.

So, in Denoise, I only have one, undefined, way to enhance sharpness. I'd rather wait to sharpen with more control. In Sharpen, "Suppress Noise" is only one, undefined option, whereas, the two processing options in Denoise can have dramatically different results (or much the same, it depends mostly on the sort of noise.)

That's the one reason I apply NR first, separately. The second is that various things I do in processing images, including sharpening, often exacerbate (enhance?) noise, and I want to be able to try different things without worrying about noise.

As to the other question, yes, although the tools in Sharpen AI are all in one interface, they do different things. Neither Sharpen nor Focus did much for the hawk. I applied Stabilize first, as a little play showed that most of the softness was motion blur.

I then tried both Sharpen and Focus, with a few settings for each. To the Eagle Eye, they both added just a bit of clearer detail. I could see subtle differences. If it were a contest, with a nice prize, I would have used both, as layers, with masks to apply different effects to different areas. But, nobody else would likely to notice a difference, so I just went with one.

I would have thought there would be more artifacts  (such as ringing with FM)

These tools tend not to throw a lot of artifacts, if used reasonably. The preview window @ 100% makes it pretty easy to see if they are going to happen.

  with that degree of recovery or it would look artificial.  Just looks good,
period.

Thanks! Good tools, careful craft.

Crafty Moose