[OM] Magic in the Digital Darkroom

Subject: [OM] Magic in the Digital Darkroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 17:21:26 -0800
Looking at some galleries to post about what I call Marinoma, I came across
some shots of a Red-tail Hawk from 2012.

It was close by, on a fence post by the road, and didn't immediately fly away, so I got a chance to take several shots, one in a perfect pose. It looks good, slightly cropped and web size. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Camp_Meeker/2012&image=_C093234croofm.jpg>

I must have liked the file at the pixel level, too, as I included a 100% sample. Now, it didn't impress me. So I decided to throw a little contemporary software at it. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Topaz%20AI/Sharpen/RedTail.htm>

Denoise AI doesn't change things much. I did it to minimize noise for the later
steps.

It was an active bird, moving around a lot, 600 mm eq. magnification and the IBIS of the E-M5. So it's hard to way which contributed what to the motion blur. It's sure not hard to see the magic the Stabilize option in Topaz Sharpen AI, though!

The gear seems to have nailed the focal plane, but I know that deconvolution can make visible detail lost in the optics. I liked what little extra sharpness/detail Focus Magic, added. Topaz Sharpen, Focus Processing option is very, very close to the same. I'll save your eyes, as I suspect most won't even see a change from 3rd to 4th. Eagle Eye does.

Eagle Eye Moose