Re: [OM] Monroe Township #8 Schoolhouse

Subject: Re: [OM] Monroe Township #8 Schoolhouse
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 22:14:06 -0800
On 1/7/2020 6:39 PM, Christopher Crawford wrote:
Moose, that must be a really out of the way place!

The western part of Marin County, and adjacent SW part of Sonoma are only minutes from SF Bay area urban areas, yet completely rural. Settled largely as diary country in the mid 1800s, that's still the main land use.

For some time, zoning was used to keep it rural. When that started to weaken, with the prospect of large residential developments, panic led to donations to land preservation trusts actively buying up development rights. This gave owners some money they needed, while locking out development in deed restrictions. Point Reyes National Seashore is protected, of course, but so too is a larger area adjacent to it.

It's one of the prettiest rural places I know, and only about 50 minutes from home to Nicasio, if one avoids commute hour. Particularly in Spring, when there are more colors of green that one would think exist and wonderful wildflowers, we wow visitors.  It's easy to tour that area, old growth Redwoods away from the tourist madness and wild coast in a day, with delicious lunch and dinner. :-)

While most of the country was freezing, we took a day trip through the area 2/16/16. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Marinoma>

Not bad in December, either. 12/8/17 <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Camp_Meeker/2017>

And 12/7/12 <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Camp_Meeker/2012&image=_C073199oof20.jpg>

Where's that round TUIT for processing more photos, of the area, esp. some
wildflowers?

All the schoolhouses in Indiana were closed by the early 1960s, and most had
closed earlier.

As above, this area is and will stay rural and sparsely populated. So there is a need for primary schools. As part of the SF Bay area, there's also money, likely untrue for rural Indiana, and a desire to maintain nice old things and ways. Kids are bused to nearby Novato and Petaluma for conventional urban middle and high schools.

Those in your photo are wooden buildings, which is something I have never seen
in northeast Indiana. All of them here are brick, and most were seemingly built
from the same plans, with only minor variations.

We have very different weather. And at the time these were built, high quality heart redwood was plentiful and cheap. Between weather and the wood, none of the usual problems with insects, rot, etc.

Near Paradise Moose