Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:27:42 -0800
Selective Moose writes:
<<Maybe. I don't really know, in part because I use artificial light seldom.
I'm also interested that no one seems to mention that flashes vary in WB, no only
between brands/models, but with age.

<<Then, if not in a studio or other controlled situation, we happily shoot through
diffusers, bits of plastic bottles or white cloths, bounce them off walls and ceilings, and
so on. No, that cheap plastic diffuser than came with a flash <<30 years ago hasn't
changed in color with age, that ceiling is pretty white looking, and gallon plastic jugs
are neutral. :-)

Agreed and good to mention about the standard flashes.  However, they have a
continuous spectrum.  The power spectral distributions  using the usual blue
LED's with 3 phosphors are peaky  and some have deep valleys. . . ., but I
don't trust  LED's yet.

Might we be talking about different things? Photo lighting need not be
attractive nor fit in existing fixtures. I don't know if that makes the
problems easier to solve.

Also they don't freeze motion for critters.

Not a concern for me. By the time I got out a flash, figured out how to use it, etc. the critter would be long gone, perhaps even expired from old age. :-)

<<<ON1 Portrait 10.

Viewed a tutorial on it--seems very nice.  I emulate most of it in PS, but may
be faster/better.  Is it a stand alone and still available?  Now I want it and
can't find--wah.

Odd business. Looks like I got it as part of ON1 10, and I see individual parts of that as PS plug-ins under the Filter Menu. fortunately, when I installed ON1 PhotoRaw 2017, I chose the option to keep older versions.

It's also there as a part of ON1 10, but I couldn't find it in PR 2017. Their
support page says:

" What happened to the Portrait module in ON1 Photo RAW 2017?
ON1 Photo RAW 2017 does not include the portrait module ON1 users have known from older versions. In the future, we will add each of the features from ON1 Portrait to ON1 Effects (part of ON1 Photo RAW). As of now, this is scheduled in one of our free updates for Photo RAW 2017. The update will include face-based skin retouching and automatic eye and mouth enhancements."

However, I just installed the announced final update to PR 2017, and it isn't there. I suppose it may show up in PR 2018 (speaking of upgrade costs), but I can't see anything else in 2018 to interest me in another paid upgrade.

<<I don't know about AI. They have improved a lot of selection tools since CS6. The Mask and Select
toolbox is pretty powerful with a one color background and/or large differences in color between subject
detail, such as hair, <<<and background. It was cake for this one. I used it on some of the dancers
in masks from Bhutan where usefulness was more of a mixed bag. Tutorial here.
<https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/selection-masking-<<<space.html?playlist=/ccx/v1/collection/product/photoshop/segment/photographer/explevel/advanced/applaunch/orientation/collection.ccx.js?ref=helpx.adobe.com>

Gee, does look much better than CS6.  Need to reevaluate when have time.
Thanks for the link.

As long as there is sufficient difference in color between subject and background, it does the best job with hair and such that I've seen.

AI reference:

https://tinyurl.com/ycvnas7o
Looks like magic to me! If it is, I'll be a happier camper.

<<Thanks! I'm working on a test that I hope will interest you - if not, at least
<<<turtles!

Ooh, I see it is up.  Need to study carefully.

Too many different renditions, you could get a brain cramp.

More Selective Moose