Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 02:28:49 -0800
Moose, you've given me a lot to think about. Including whether I have a thick enough skin. I'll probably feel better in the morning. Thanks for the technical tips in any case.

I was doing a very last-minute favor for a friend. I hardly ever take formal portraits. I told them that I would be more comfortable doing B&W because of the lighting issues, but they wanted color.

The mother believed that the photo had to be sent to the musical organization that very afternoon. We weren't told we had any more time until I'd finished shooting. So we proceeded as if that were the case, and I had no choice except an out-of-camera JPG. Something I almost never do.

Even after I made the second version (from Raw) in my original post, both mother and daughter chose to use the overly yellow OOC JPG.  I disagreed, but that was their choice. Perhaps they are so used to overly yellow pictures from default tungsten WB of consumer cameras and cell phones that it appeared normal to them.

I actually bought a WB "credit card" recently. Unfortunately, the camera wouldn't focus on it closely enough to fill the frame, which is required to set the custom WB. I didn't remember where in the E-M5's labyrinthine menus the option resided to trip the shutter even if out of focus. So I fell back on the white paper.

The camera's Tungsten WB was almost identical to the WB I set with white paper.

In tests at home with the WB "credit" card and white paper, the results of setting custom WB were almost identical under several different lights. So I (perhaps wrongly) concluded that it would be OK to use the white paper if the card didn't work.

If I do any more of this sort of thing, I may very well invest in one or two of those LED boxes.

When I had some time today, I worked further on the Raw file, making the girl's skin tones look like her actual coloring. Below is what I came up with. I probably should have waited and only posted this version. It is done according to my more minimalist post-processing philosophy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/38929746094/in/dateposted-public/

I also intend to make B&W versions of the best pictures from the shoot.

--Peter