Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait of Kina
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:04:44 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Selective Moose writes:
<<Maybe. I don't really know, in part because I use artificial light seldom.
I'm also interested that no one seems to mention that flashes vary in WB, no
only between brands/models, but with age.

<<Then, if not in a studio or other controlled situation, we happily shoot
through diffusers, bits of plastic bottles or white cloths, bounce them off
walls and ceilings, and so on. No, that cheap plastic diffuser than came with a
flash <<30 years ago hasn't changed in color with age, that ceiling is pretty
white looking, and gallon plastic jugs are neutral. :-)

Agreed and good to mention about the standard flashes.  However, they have a
continuous spectrum.  The power spectral distributions  using the usual blue
LED's with 3 phosphors are peaky  and some have deep valleys. This requires
more sophisticated tools  to fix and not the usual sliders--rather like trying
to fix an audio output with peaks and valleys with a graphic equalizer when a
precisely controlled parametric equalizer is required.  I have 3 LED's in our
upstairs bathroom (think I have mentioned this) described as 2700K color temp
with CRI >90.  (color rendering index) It is over 2 years old  and it  should
be excellent but it is horrible.  CRI includes R1-R8, and ours clearly would
stink in R9  (red)  and/or R13 (skin tone).  Other problem is that the LED's
won't die, but may have to euthanize them as don't like appearing jaundiced.
The LED's are rapidly evolving and I see very high CRI ones that should be much
better for much  less $$. This seems to evolve by the month.  I
 don't think it will be long when most are very good, but would not trust a
cheap one w/o a power spectrum distribution.  I would leave it to engineers
like Tim
to discuss Stokes shifts/losses and change of emission spectra of the phosphors
with temperature.  These issues seem to be resolvable, but I don't trust  LED's
yet. Also they don't freeze motion for critters.

<<<ON1 Portrait 10.

Viewed a tutorial on it--seems very nice.  I emulate most of it in PS, but may
be faster/better.  Is it a stand alone and still available?  Now I want it and
can't find--wah.

<<I don't know about AI. They have improved a lot of selection tools since CS6.
The Mask and Select toolbox is pretty powerful with a one color background
and/or large differences in color between subject detail, such as hair, <<<and
background. It was cake for this one. I used it on some of the dancers in masks
from Bhutan where usefulness was more of a mixed bag. Tutorial here.
<https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/selection-masking-<<<space.html?playlist=/ccx/v1/collection/product/photoshop/segment/photographer/explevel/advanced/applaunch/orientation/collection.ccx.js?ref=helpx.adobe.com>

Gee, does look much better than CS6.  Need to reevaluate when have time.
Thanks for the link.

AI reference:

https://tinyurl.com/ycvnas7o

<<Thanks! I'm working on a test that I hope will interest you - if not, at
least
<<<turtles!

Ooh, I see it is up.  Need to study carefully.

Mike