Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 12:14:39 -0800
On 12/29/2017 8:13 AM, John Hudson wrote:
Does anyone have a wrist watch like GPS device for tracking their physical location when taking photos or are out walking and can make a recommendation.

I have, use and like the Garmin Foretrex 401.

It's the smallest device I could find that does what you want - well.
Although it comes with a wrist strap, it seems awkwardly large to be toting around on my wrist. I typically put it in my shirt pocket. The display when tracking isn't something to follow, anyway.

It tracks much more accurately in difficult situations, such as under tree cover, than the iGotU or iPhone I used before. I've been geocoding my images for years. The 401 is the best device I've used. I assume any other Garmin or other brand high sensitivity GPS unit would work well, but they are all large, hand held devices. The 401 uses two AAA batteries, with settings for different types. My eneloops last a full day. The interface and software seem rather goofy/unintuitive to me, but work. Or one may simply use a file browser.

I am not interested in a device which records 1001 facts about heart rate, steps per mile, elevation, air pressure, body temperature, yards to the next golf green, etc.

All I would like is a quality built wrist held device to record GPS co-ordinates to at least five decimal places or better.

Here's a trackpoint from it's GPX output:

<trkpt lat="27.40217800" lon="89.42070700">
<ele>2224.630</ele>
<time>2017-09-26T02:21:12Z</time>

The last two digits of Lat/long appear to always be zero, so it records six digits. Do not, however confuse precision with accuracy. It has the same accuracy as other high sensitivity chip GPS units, and that will vary with location, surroundings, etc.

There is also the question of accuracy in matching track points to photos. If time in the camera differs from the super accurate GPS time, geocoding can be off.

You must keep the time on the camera accurate. There are cases where this isn't at all easy. I used it on a cross country flight, just to see if it worked, and it appeared to work well at tracking, even inside the aluminum tube, window seat. However, I didn't change the camera time as we passed over time zone boundaries, so I didn't really know where many shots were taken.

Go inside buildings where there is no signal, and it just repeats the last good fix until you leave. Inside one where some signals come in weakly, maybe bouncing, and you may get a series of points in the general vicinity. I had this happen in a temple in Bhutan. Easy enough to fix in my usual geocoding app, GeoSetter (free, good), by attaching a good point to all the bad ones. LR Maps Mode is also a decent geocoder, although with less detail control than GeoSetter.

There is also the question of how the photo time and track times are matched. There is a choice between matching exactly to the nearest track point or interpolating between track points.

I don't mean to say the whole process doesn't work. In fact, it almost always works quite well. But any assumptions of absolute, always accuracy are false. I deeply appreciate having geocoding for my Bhutan images. It's so easy to get confused in memories of so many places. Just jump in to the Map Mode in LR, and it's all clear.

Any recommendations ?

I guess I did have one. :-)

Where in the World Moose