Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 01:27:14 -0800
On 12/29/2017 10:25 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
Aw crap, I must use LR?

I quite dislike LR as an image processor, and don't use it for that.

As a catalog, DAM, it's awfully good. With geocoded images, it becomes seriously good. Until they added the Map Mode, I never used it. Now I use it all the time. But then, I've been geocoding for years, so when Maps became available (or I became aware of it), I imported data from many thousands of my images into the LR catalog, the majority with location data.

The ability to filter by metadata,  on a large number of EXIF attributes, is also something I use a lot. For example, I can browse all the images I have from Brooklyn, or Trongsa, Bhutan, Glacier NP, etc., regardless of when or what camera - or only for particular camera(s) and/or lens(es). I can see in the browser window only images taken with the 9-18 zoom, wherever, whenever, whatever camera. This is stuff that's a bitch any other way I know of, and LR makes it a breeze. As someone who does a lot of focus stacks involving 15 or 25 exposures per actual "shot", it also allows me to get a good estimate of how many actual shots I've taken.

I just asked it; my catalog has now has 54.989 images with GPS data and 54,780 without, as I eventually have loaded all my digital camera images, going back a long way. Raw images only, it's 45,223 coded and 29,746 not.

As I considered it free with my subscription for PS, I'd say it's far the best bargain software I have. :-) Humpf, guess I'm really a fan; I'd be lost without it.

GeoSetter (free), in addition to being a good way to geocode from tracks, is a viewer that will put a flag on a map when you select an image. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much else useful as a browser.

I suppose there may be another browser that has a map view available. I just
don't know what it is, if it is.

Unexpected Fan Moose