Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 14:41:11 -0800
On 12/29/2017 1:42 PM, Jim Couch wrote:
John,

I have used a  number of wrist based units (Garmin, Polar, and Suunto) and run
into two issues with all of them as far as geotagging photos goes.

1 - Software - specifically as it relates to getting the data - you need to
sync with their app and the typically go into the app or online to get the gpx
file.

That was true of the iGotU. Phone apps could auto upload to DropBox. The Garmin 401 can be accessed through goofy software. But as soon as it is connected to a computer, it creates a .gpx file of the current/latest track, which may be copied using Explorer/Finder, etc.
2 - Battery life. Set to the highest accuracy and most tracking points all but
the most expensive units are typically only good for 4-5 hours max.

I suppose because it has only a small, low res, monochrome display, the 401 lasts many more hours (8+) on a set of batteries. By using AAAs, instead of built in battery, it can run indefinitely, if you have the spares along.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my Polar watch for such use, but if I am out
all day or on a long trip the Garmin handheld unit wins hands down.

The new (to me) is supposed to be able to tag via a phone app but I have yet to
play with that combo.

The implementations of that I've seen use the GPS in the phone, which is often
less accurate.

Moose! Where?