Re: [OM] Syrian Children

Subject: Re: [OM] Syrian Children
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:14:46 -0700
On 6/14/2017 8:06 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
When you generate the final output (jpeg or tiff) from RAW with Lightroom, there are lots of non manufacture default adjustment included.

Tina is right, the original is unaltered. You are right, the changes made in LR are saved in the output. They are also saved by LR as a 'recipe', so next time the Raw file is opened, it will look as it was when last open.

All the noise about non-destructive editing is meaningless when working from Raw files. No one writes back into the original Raw format. It's not possible, as the Raw formats don't have the capability to store alterations to the Raw data. So - NO - converter/editor destructively edits Raw files.

For me an untouched output image is the JPEG embedded inside the RAW or the JPEG directly from the camera when you shoot RAW+JPEG.

I've never looked at it that way. There are lots of camera settings that change the JPEG outputs. You don't change any of them, so that's the "untouched" output? I would say it is "touched" by the preferences of the maker.

Canon's DPP, Oly's Viewer and SilkyPix for Panny all do a pretty good job of reproducing the appearance of their JPEGs. Viewer seems to be particularly good at this. Not a surprise, as I assume they use the same calculations as used by the firmware to make JPEGs.

However, I've never liked their results as well as ACR's defaults. Adobe, of course, aims to make Raw conversion from all cameras look much the same. As it happens, I like their preferences better than those of the manufacturers whose cameras I've used, but I can imagine others disliking them. DxO Pro's defaults make Oly and Panny images look pretty bad to my taste. It has some things that work better than ACR or my plug-ins, but then I have to adjust color, contrast, tonalities, etc. far more than with ACR.

I have gone so far as to process for distortion, noise and/or, aberrations, output TIFF, load TIFF and Raw into PS, then use Match Color to make the image look much closer to my preferences. Then, from a base I understand, I can make further adjustments.

Flowing Work Moose