Re: [OM] Syrian Children

Subject: Re: [OM] Syrian Children
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:00:02 -0400
Thanks, Chris.  If I have failed to reply to a comment by you, I'm sorry.
I try to reply to all comments.  If anybody takes the time to comment, they
deserve a reply.
The trip to Syria was sponsored by the Syria/Lebanon Partnership Network of
the Presbyterian Church, USA.  We were a mixed bag of 12 people who are
interested in Syria.  We all paid our own way but the visas were approved
by the Syrian government.  The guards were not specifically for us but were
volunteers - Civil Guards - who guard the churches every Sunday and the
mosques every Friday.  They were Christians and Muslims who are both
fighting against ISIL and Daesh.  The people we met with were those who
have chosen to stay in Syria and try to reclaim and rebuild their country.
Many of them were displaced from Aleppo and Homs and are currently living
in the Kurdish and Syrian Army controlled areas of the country.  They hope
to return to their homes someday when the 83 countries occupying their
country leave.  We also visited refugee camps of Yazidi and Iraqi people
who walked across the mountains to take refuge in Syria because their
villages were controlled by ISIS.  The Syrian saying about when elephants
fight, the grass gets trampled is certainly true in Syria today.

Tina

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:17 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina
>
> It’s a beautiful photo of lovely kids, that’s for sure.
>
> But in your previous post you mixed your presentation of photographs with
> a seriously contentious statement, implying that Assad’s regime was perhaps
> in the right.  I decided not to argue with you about that, but by the same
> token not to comment on your photographs.
>
> I don’t know under whose patronage you were in Syria, nor who provided
> your guards.  You can provide photographs for comment in isolation, but
> it’s best that we don’t go down the route of arguing about which faction,
> including the Government, is doing the damage in that ghastly civil war.
>
> Finally, I don’t comment on photographs in the ether.  You are obviously a
> busy photographer who has dedicated her life to documenting societies
> across the world, to good effect.  But I don’t expect to make comment and
> never to receive a reply.  I tried that every so often with Chris
> Crawford’s photos and have never received a reply; so I sometimes look at
> his photos but rarely comment.
>
> Chris
>
> > On 13 Jun 17, at 00:27, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > I told myself I would not post here again since my last post about my
> trip
> > to Syria was totally ignored.  I checked to be sure it was posted and it
> > was.  My posts on Facebook have received many comments but not a single
> one
> > here.  Just in case, I'm trying one more time before I give up
> completely.
> > These are Syrian children who attend a school that is supported by our
> > Syrian Working Group.  We are trying to make it possible for Syrians to
> > stay in Syria.  If you read my first post, you know that the news we
> > receive in the USA is very different from what the Syrians believe is the
> > truth.  We are just hoping the children will be able to make a difference
> > in the future.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/165612438 <http://www.pbase.com/
> tinamanley/image/165612438>
> >
> > Leica SL, 50/1.4 - a phenomenal lens.