Re: [OM] DIY Auto Repair - Sounds like a good idea. Maybe

Subject: Re: [OM] DIY Auto Repair - Sounds like a good idea. Maybe
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 15:08:57 -0600
A new top for an old Olds? That won't be cheap.

-----Original Message----- From: Moose
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:42 PM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion

On 12/13/2016 11:36 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I'm partial to the E46 1998-2005 series, but an E36 (1992-1998)
convertible is the best looking 3-series ever made.

Good looking, yes, but . . .

When I was looking for a convertible in 1995, I looked at pretty much everything. The BMW 3xx was tight, maybe even cramped, inside. Not as claustrophobic as the Camaro/Firebirds. Audi was similar. Saab was a little better, and had a useful trunk trick. There was a stiff bottomed, fabric sided thingie that went down to fit the folded top, and snapped up to allow some trunk space with top up. Given your driving troubles, I'd make sure you fit before buying anything like
that.

None of them had any trunk space with top down, but at least the Saab had some with it up. Worst was an otherwise gorgeous Mercedes. They had managed to design the top mechanism so that it both squeezed the back seat very narrow AND ate up almost all the trunk with a huge, steel box. they wanted $70,000 (21 yrs ago) - used, with 36,000 miles.

Across the street, I bought a brand new Oldsmobile with a usable back seat, usable trunk with top down, larger with it up, 3.4 litre, DOHC, 24 valve V6, for $26,000. A better car in every way (save cachet), for the purpose at hand, than
any of the Euro-vertibles, the Camaro/Firebird or the Mustang.

Still driving it, still enjoying it. Our top down trip through W. Marin/SW. Sonoma weekend before last was just gorgeous
both ways. Needs a new top, though.

Open Air Moose