Re: [OM] DIY Auto Repair - Sounds like a good idea. Maybe

Subject: Re: [OM] DIY Auto Repair - Sounds like a good idea. Maybe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:58:58 -0800
On 12/13/2016 9:46 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
That was indeed entertaining, Ken: mainly because I was reading it from the standpoint of someone
who didn’t need to do that sort of work.  I’d make a dreadful mess, I’m sure.
Well done, chum.
Thanks. I consider this a watershed project (pardon the pun). . .

I've done auto repairs before, it's not like I'm a total virgin. But
this is different in that I took on a project that seemed much bigger
than what I was capable of.

Ah! Didn't realize that you were a relative naif. Congrats are indeed in order,
for having the guts and succeeding!

I don't mess with such things much anymore, too lazy, but I used to do pretty serious work on my cars. Engine swapping is when it got a little hairy. My older son paid scant attention to taking care of things. When the Audi 4000 I'd given him started sounding funny, he stopped, looked around and saw something running out of the bottom of he engine. Drove further, looked again, and the flow had stopped, so he drove back to his place. Needless to say, the bottom end was destroyed.

I told him there was no way I was paying for another car or for engine replacement, but I would help him buy and install a used engine. We did it, it ran, and he ended up in the auto repair business. After disillusionment and a break of a few years, he realized he could make more money there than he was at other things, so he's back.

Fun is when your son and a couple of friends are trying to do a rear, drum brake job*, can't get something to fit back on, and now it's late and dark. Pick up a full size sledge, watch eyes bulge as you swing it against the part - and then it fits perfectly. :-)

Light Touch Moose