Re: [OM] Back Button Focus was IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvio

Subject: Re: [OM] Back Button Focus was IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvious
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 15:46:59 -0500
> I've tried it, and it didn't work well for me. Oh well.
> One Button  Moose

There are usually two configurations that most people will use. One is
using the rear button as a focus lock, and the other as a focus
assist. Two me, both are a sign of poor camera design. Take the E-1 as
an example - with the three-way switch down on the bottom front-left
corner of the camera body, going between AF and MF is extremely simple
and fast. You can go from one shot to the next switching the mode
switch between them. Having the rear button configured as one-touch
focus assist means that you are in primarily manual-focus mode and the
button is used to assist you because the focus screens are worthless
for focusing. One-touch focus lock means that you are in auto-focus
mode and you have to override the camera because it is flunking at the
job for some reason.

Why was this never a problem with manual focus cameras? Let's take the
shooting through the fence situation. I am able to manually focus on
the person on the other side of the fence without any problems and to
"lock focus" just means to stop turning the focus ring. Need to focus
lock at infinity for a landscape picture? Duh! Just rotate the lens to
infinity and take your fingers off the lens.

I've spent at least two years trying the buttons to no avail. However,
the E-3, which lacks a focus mode switch needs the buttons, whereas
the other cameras are better designed to avoid the need for them in
most cases.

Same goes for exposure locks...

AG

--