Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 15:32:35 -0500
Congratulations!  Tenacity prevails! :-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 3/26/2016 1:43 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      I found the problem!

      With every approach to this failing, I looked for anything else that might be
suspect.  The first thing I dud was remove the dual USB 2.0 port PCMCIA card (aka
CardBus).  Then I restarted through the F8 menu, selecting SAFE MODE.  It worked just
fine.  When I plugged the PCMCIA card back in, it immediately went into the Blue Screen
of Death "Memory Parity Error".  So that is undoubtedly the problem.

      Hard to believe that this would be the problem as I have used this card
for years with Win98/SE and WinXP with no problems.  Evidently the native Win7
PCMCIA driver is not compatible with this device, but the correct driver is
installed during normal Win7 startup.

      Hmmm...  Guess I need to find a comparable CardBus that is compatible
with Win7 and use this card with the new/used $15 Compaq laptop.  I was going
to get one for it anyway.

      I also need to find a version of Logitech Mouseware that works with Win7.  For now
I cannot use any mouse in USB port #001 and the control panel "add hardware"
function does not recognise it.

So, for example, my netbook+ has a 12 GB "Recovery Partition"......What
that might have to do with your problem, I have no idea; just clarifying
what was being asked.
Yes, sorry I was a bit terse. I was thinking that such a partition might
hold a dll necessary for the hardware unique to this laptop. ...If that
turns out to be the problem.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson