Re: [OM] Solar Roofs - of course to power Olympus cameras - duh

Subject: Re: [OM] Solar Roofs - of course to power Olympus cameras - duh
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:37:58 -0600
> I havn't heard any mention of batteries and inverters.  The sun is pretty
> weak at midnight.

Iowa is a buyback state. Batteries are optional, unless you want total
disconnect from the world. From a house sale perspective, it's better
to avoid disconnecting from the utilities. Even so, having some form
of storage (TESLA WALL?) is good, but the payback is horrid on
storage. Generally speaking, the payback period doubles. Also, when
you combine time-of-day billing with solar production, it can really
make things work in your favor, but the rules on that vary by state.

That said, I am investigating a couple of new/old tech solutions for
energy storage and recovery. One is through the use of compressed air.
Excess electricity is used to compress air in a large tank and then is
converted back to electricity on demand. The upfront cost similar, but
the 10-year cost factor is a fraction of batteries. There is
maintenance costs on the air pumps, but otherwise, the system is
essentially passive.

But I will probably have a minimal battery system to take a few peaks
and dips out.

AG