Re: [OM] IMG: Ultimate Super Bowl Party Tray

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Ultimate Super Bowl Party Tray
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 17:21:19 -0800
On 2/8/2016 4:30 PM, John Hudson wrote:
I doubt that the Lady would be given the time of day at Oberlin, Curtis, or
Julliard .......!

Those are the conservative keepers of a tradition, for a fairly narrow world. Nothing wrong with that, but other parts of the world may disagree about the qualities of a world class singer.

I'd put my money on the likes of Ms Fleming, Anne Sofie von Otter and the likes. Sorry, but you would have to convince the world that Andre Rieu outshone Mr Heifetz on the fiddle before you advanced the vocal argument. Some are just more accomplished than others and the shortfall is made up by endless glitz and sparkle.

If you discount vocal quality what else is there to measure

Let me clarify. I believe that "Ms Fleming, Anne Sofie von Otter and the likes" all have different individual vocal qualities. Any even slightly knowledgeable fan of Opera can tell them apart. And vive la difference, as otherwise the whole venture would be boring. I was referring to that sort of vocal difference, between top quality voices - not that between the Placid Flamingo and my voice.

As to Mr. Heifetz, his technique may have been near perfect, but I think others were better deliverers of the music, if occasionally less predicable. I had the misfortune to hear Isaac Stern play the Beethoven Concerto on one of his (famous) off nights. OY! My wife at the time could have done a better job. But his performance with Bernstein and the NYPA is on my shelf, a timeless classic, in preference to Heifetz, as are my favorite, Perlman, with Barenboim and the Berlin and with Guilini and the Philharmonia. Itzhak got me through some tough times, years ago. Heifetz wouldn't have worked.

other than the visual glitz ...............?

Opera doesn't depend on visual glitz???? I'd tell my friend who was for many years props manager for the SF Opera, but he's old now and the laughing might kill him.

Let me be clear. I'm not a Gaga fan. I'd never knowingly heard her sing before the Bennett duets. I am a fan of giving their due to those who put on a great performance/show.

The Star Spangled Banner ain't opera. Gaga nailed it. Fleming didn't. One Moose's opinion. You want a rematch in an opera, make some calls. :-)

Moose D'Opinion