Re: [OM] it's been a long time

Subject: Re: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:55:50 -0800
On 1/24/2016 6:54 PM, Richard Lovison wrote:

On 1/24/2016 5:25 PM, Moose wrote:
Wow, sure do! I have occasionally wondered what happened with you, most
recently just a few days ago.

Welcome back, and I hope you can hang around and maybe even show us some newer
work. :-)

Hi Moose. Good to hear from you as I also thought about you over the past
month. Something to do with tree hugging. :)

Sounds about right. We are often out in the woods on one side of the continent or other, between or excursions around the West in our Turtle and a month in New England each fall. I don't think we had our Turtle when you were last here? <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Albion&image=_MG_9139ia.jpg>

I no longer have my website so I'm not sure how I can show some of my latest
work. I'll have to figure something out.

As Ken says, lots of folks here using Zone-10's list gallery.

While you've been gone, I've come back from the dark side to Oly again, with
µ4/3 gear.

I figured you wouldn't stay away long. :)

The 5D was really a great camera. And although I still have a bit of Oly attachment, my move was almost all feature and performance driven. I would say that Oly is by far the current leader in innovations that go beyond what any camera could do before, as opposed to enhancing and refining existing tech. They are also doing the latter, too, as the E-M5 II has much improved IBIS over the Mark I - amazing with long lenses.

I'm still using the E-3 though now it looks as if the MD-EM1 can handle focusing issues better with the four thirds lenses than the previous micro thirds bodies. Any thoughts on this?

If I had a stable of 4/3 lenses, I would certainly have an E-M1. The PDAF makes all the difference for those lenses. OTOH, I wouldn't be looking for an E-M1 just now. There's an Oly announcement of a new camera supposedly due Wednesday*, and a rumor of another "big" announcement soon thereafter. Should that be an E-M1 II, Mark I prices, new and used, should go down. Or if the Mark II has the promised fast version of their HR tech introduced on the E-M5 II, it would be yet another step out ahead of anything anybody else is making.

Babbling Moose

* A "PEN-F" that isn't small, being larger than the OM-D bodies, as far as I
can tell, pre-announcement.