[OM] it's been a long time

Subject: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 17:00:00 -0500
Hi everyone.

Maybe some of you will remember me... maybe not. I was a member of this list many years ago, or at least it seems that long. I've lurked from time to time just to see what some of you have been up to.

I haven't seriously used my Olympus equipment in about two years. My wife and I both lost our employment at the same time a couple of years back and for me, I lost an income that made my photography hobby possible. So my creative side was put on the back burner.

Recently I stumbled upon a discarded Epson 3880 printer at the transfer station that I reluctantly took home. It was in excellent shape cosmetically with all accessories but I thought what person would throw away a working 3880 especially with ink carts installed. I had quite a shock when I discovered the ink carts were still in it, three of the nine full and the remaining half full or a little less. A quick nozzle check indicated no clogging. I still couldn't believe it but an attempt at printing a print produced beautiful results. And wow, can this thing produce a beautiful B&W print. So I took this experience as an act of the Universe to get me back into photography.

One more small problem remained. I had an Epson R1900 and I knew I couldn't afford to maintain both printers as the ink cost would kill me. So I attempted to give it away to a friend for the cost of one complete set of ink carts that I had. Wasn't interested. So I tried to sell it locally, first for $300 and then for $150. No go. So I figured what the heck, I'll put it on eBay with a starting bid of $200. The darn thing sold for $827!!! That's almost twice what I paid for it 6 years ago. What I later discovered was that the printer head from the R1800, 1900 and 2000 are in demand by Asian t-shirt printing companies. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

That's all the boring stuff for now. Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Richard