Re: [OM] it's been a long time

Subject: Re: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 23:25:05 -0600
Considering that I'm starting up a side business digitizing records (and an assortment of tape formats) anywhere from 78's through 45/33, I've been spending a lot of time up close and personal with vinyl. I was there for the transition from vinyl to CD. Yes, some early CD's were mastered for crap. But if it's done right, it's music without rumble and edge warps and crackles and inner-track distortion.

I miss full-sized album art. I miss liner notes you can read without a magnifying glass. I miss the sequencing of an LP where Side 2 starts out with a secondary hit for an energy bump mid-album instead of the one- or two-hit front-load then filler of a lot of recent CD's. But I don't miss the hassles of vinyl.

I'm currently in the process of building my own record-washing and vacuuming machine since that needs to be part of the routine for anyone serious about archving and storing vinyl. I don't have to do that with CD's.