Re: [OM] it's been a long time

Subject: Re: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:00:00 -0600
On 1/25/16 00:40 : , Moose wrote:
What are you using for A/D conversion? I want to convert a few cassette tapes with obscure material never available in any other form. I have whatever's in my computers and a Sony Video camera with a pass through conversion feature. I suspect any of them are better than the source material.

I'm using a Focusrite USB interface. Really nice pre-amps. I have a reasonably high-end phono preamp feeding that for modern stuff. For 78's, I have to bypass the phono preamp because the modern RIAA EQ curve didn't appear until the mid-50's. I record flat, then apply the proper EQ for the label and/or age in software afterwards. I tend to record at 24/96 or occasionally at 24/192 for capture, and then after all of the processing is done, dither down to the standard 16/44.1.

I've got a really nice Audio-Technica turntable that will do 33/45 and 78, and I have different headshells with different cartridge/stylii combos for rock/blues, jazz, classical and also a mono one specifically for 78's with the correct stylus.
, I've been spending a lot of time up close and personal with vinyl. I was there for the transition from vinyl to CD. Yes, some early CD's were mastered for crap. But if it's done right, it's music without rumble and edge warps and crackles and inner-track distortion.

And that can be magic. Roberta Flack's "The First Time ever I saw Your Face" on the CD version of The Best of ... is just magic.

On vinyl, no matter how I can clean it, there are noises like scratches on a great print. Ripped CD to FLAC, then converted to variable rate MP3, it even sounds great played from an iThingie via BT.

There is still surface noise and distortion as you get to the tighter inner grooves. I actually have two digital libraries - one that's AAC to feed my iPod, and one that's wav or aiff for critical listening on the good speakers.

I'm currently in the process of building my own record-washing and vacuuming machine since that needs to be part of the routine for anyone serious about archving and storing vinyl.

Wanna trade vinyl for digi files?

Let's talk.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO