Re: [OM] it's been a long time

Subject: Re: [OM] it's been a long time
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 20:12:20 -0600
John asked:
> In as much as vinyl disk music recordings, and particularly from those
> recorded analogue, have an apparent sound quality superior to that from DDD,
> ADD or AAD compact disks, is the visual output from scanned film negatives
> superior to that obtained directly from digital cameras OR is the appeal of
> film somewhat akin to the retro-attraction of things old and romantic?

I've spent my fair share of time working in professional audio,
recording and broadcast. I even have my own studio setup which would
certainly be considered "worthy". We spend vast sums of money and time
on digital gear and plugins to recreate the sound of analog
processing, effects, etc. The best vocal recording mikes are still the
ancient tube ones made in the 1950s. There is certainly an aural
aesthetic to analog audio which could be construed as
superior--depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Same with imaging. Most of the time we spend in Lightroom and
Photoshop is to give our images a visual aesthetic that is film
inspired.

AG Schnozz