Re: [OM] Net Neutrality - The Saga Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] Net Neutrality - The Saga Continues
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:17:23 -0600
> For a few years now I've felt like my entertainment options have been
> somewhat fragile, to say the least. For the moment, we're living with
> Time-Warner and Roku, but there's some overlap there. I fully expect to
> migrate to one of the companies you mentioned for most of our screen
> entertainment needs in the not too distant future. Which one it will be,
> and what configuration, remains to be seen. But I have no philosophical
> issues with relying on Apple or Google or Amazon for my needs. I draw the
> line at Microsoft and Yahoo. <g>
>
> Unless they're really good.

My father has never purchased a Japanese, German or Italian vehicle
all these years because of the memory of WW2. That was his choice
based on the fact that he lost far too many friends and relatives in
the war. It was personal. Meanwhile, my wife and I drive BMWs and
Toyotas. It isn't personal to us. Are either of us wrong? Of course
not. It's a choice we make for our own reasons.

Many of us tend to be rather self-righteous when it comes to Walmart
or other companies we don't like. Koch Industries, anyone? What
matters to one person may not matter to another. Rupert Murdock?
Donald Trump? So, my rants about Netflix are based on my own knowledge
of their corporate philosophy and how they are a combination of the
Walmart, the Koch brothers, Donald Trump and the evil Rupert. I
personally refuse to support Netflix because of my knowledge of their
antics, but feel free to do whatever you want.

Netflix' moral compass does not point the same way my moral compass points.

I'm sure that 150 years ago, there were a lot of people in the North
that liked their cotton shirts and turned a blind eye to the fact that
it took a lot of slaves to produce those cotton shirts. Slavery
continued because there was a market for the products they produced.

But we each need to make our own choices for our own reasons. Just as
my dad refuses to buy a BMW (he REALLY likes them) but subscribes to
Netflix, I refuse to support Netflix but drive a BMW.

That all said, the moment Netflix addresses a couple of issues, I'll
gladly subscribe. I do like the product.

AG Schnozz