Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:11:19 -0500
> The worst part is to come.  The editing!!!

AGreed.

But I learned a nifty editing trick a couple of years ago which
totally revolutionized it for me. I happen to be using Lightroom, but
this works for most systems:

1. Import all images into Lightroom. Set all stars to zero (or all
starts to one if the vast majority are "keepers".
2. First pass is to determine what is an initial keeper or not. All
keepers set to one star, the tossers are set to zero stars.
3. Second pass is to determine "best shot". When you have similars,
set the best of to two stars.
4. Third pass is to determine which "best shots" will be included in
the story. Go through and three star those ones. Produce proof book.
5. For album prep, go through and four star the images that will go
into the album.
6. For stand-alone images for reprints or enlargements, those get five stars.

The advantage to this method is that it is a thinning process that
places no specific value on a particular image until you've had a
chance to go through and see everything and get a perspective on how
one image stands up against the rest. I used to be stuck in the method
of grading images in one pass and that is a disaster for me. This
multipass method works very well for event, wedding and portrait
photography.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx