Re: [OM] Selfie Safety Hazards

Subject: Re: [OM] Selfie Safety Hazards
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 06:02:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Having grown up as an army brat, I didn't have any contact outside the
army community until the 7th grade.  The 7th and 8th grades were in a parochial
school in San Francisco, and high school was first in rural northern York
County, PA (1965-1966), and later in Camp Hill, PA.  What I saw in that first
year of high school made me sick to my stomach and I was lucky to transfer to
the second school.

     What you're describing in the communities you've been in reminds me of
that first high school, and my memories of that and the subsequent years of
adult life firmly tell me that no amount of education will overcome peer
pressure.  Self-discipline is seen as a joke, and self-destruction with drugs,
etc. is seen as a badge of courage.

     My idea of "living on the edge" consists of camping along the edge of the
Grand Canyon.

Chris