Re: [OM] IMG: Two More of the Gulf Fritillary

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Two More of the Gulf Fritillary
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:41:01 -0700
On 8/27/2015 2:10 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
Thanks Jim.
Well, I've already learned you don't add sea salt the same way you use
table salt.
Wow, that was real salt water shrimp we had last week. ;-(

That's weird. By US law, table salt may contain up to 2% anti-clumping agents and potassium Iodide, to provide iodine. So 98% is just salt, in fact, 99.999...% of the time, sea salt, in that it was made by evaporation of the water from sea water. By weight, both kinds are just as "salty". Pretty decent discussion here. <http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/08/12/sea-salt-vs-table-salt-the-truth/>

OTOH, if you measure sea salt by volume in the large pieces it often comes in, you will get LESS salt per teaspoon than with finely ground table salt.

BTW, not included in the above link, is the reason sea salt and kosher salt come in larger granules than table salt is to avoid clumping form absorption of water from the air. That's why table salt has added anti clumping agents, and why even that isn't enough in humid climates, so we add rice to absorb the water.

Why your shrimp ended up so salty is a mystery to me.

Old Salt Moose