Re: [OM] Focus and Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus and Bokeh
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:34:10 -0700
On 8/10/2015 4:26 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Moose

I love the monkey!

I believe it's a baboon. Certainly made in Africa. It is a patient occasional subject of my test shots. The subtle colors and surface details can show things that test patterns and such miss.

In my imagined version of Kipling's Just So Stories, there's one featuring a
Wise Old Baboon, and this is him. :-)

But I saw little difference in (attractiveness of) bokeh between the Zuiko and
LBSF.  I like both the aperture-blade shapes of the Zuiko and the round shapes
of the LBSF.

We all know that a negative result is still informative. I quite prefer round highlights, but agree that otherwise there is little to choose between them.

Some day, I'll retake the awful example I just (re) posted from a 50/1.8. It's just next door. While the foreground has changed, the background where the trouble is is much the same.

I agree, though, that the depth of focus seems a little better with the LBSF.

All our DoF calculations are based on a simple lens assumption, while most of
our lenses are far from simple. :-)

Deeply Focused Moose