Re: [OM] (OY!) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV

Subject: Re: [OM] (OY!) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 18:07:18 -0500
I had the pleasure of checking one out. It is a really nice camera and
the viewfinder feels very much at home. For a pocket "go everywhere
camera" I would be very pleased with it.

That said, I feel that the RX10 (II) puts the clamps on any desire I
would have for the RX100. The RX10 has THE lens to impress and the
overall handling is straight out of the Minolta A1/A2 playbook. Where
the RX10 has the Minolta heritage, the RX100 has the SONY heritage.
The difference is not subtle when you go to grab the camera, and want
to make an override on a setting on-the-fly. One is right there with
you, the other requires a lot of dumpster (menu) diving to accomplish
the same task.

Back to the lens. The RX10's lens puts the camera into the category of
"buy the lens, get a camera for free). It really is a sweeeet lens.
The RX100's lens is excellent (in sharpness, contrast, color, etc.,)
but comes across as a little clinical to me. Clinical is actually
good, but I like a little more organic than most people. There is also
a lot more distortion correction going on with the RX100 than the
RX10.

AG SONY Schnozz