Re: [OM] (OY!) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV

Subject: Re: [OM] (OY!) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 15:19:21 -0700
On 8/9/2015 2:05 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
So, are there any engineers in the room that can put forth a convincing
argument against the new Sony DSC-RX100 IV?

Looks like a near perfect camera for the upper right pocket of my
motorcycle jacket.

The question might be asked why you don't already have a III. :-)

The IV is all about faster, higher FPS, 4K video, and so on. DPreview's comparator doesn't show me any IQ improvement, In fact, a couple of spots on their subject look a tiny bit better on the III, likely subtle focus differences and/or sample variation, but could be the new sensor optimized for speed.

For your use, I imagine a III might actually be better, and certainly cheaper.

The annoyances that might get to you are summarized, along with the good points, here. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-iv/16>

Certainly better than the iPhone.

IQ looks very good. Not sure how it will print, though. Lightroom could
probably get good 7x10s out of it, but I'm not sure it could go much larger.

I think you are underestimating. My impression from TOP posts is that there are serious folks using the RX100 for larger prints than that.

Seventy Is Too Short Moose