Re: [OM] IMGS: Bread!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Bread!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 07:42:38 -0400
I didn't note the brand but somewhere along the line of looking up Italian flours after your first post I encountered a claim of an Italian pasta brand that said it was made of at least 70% Italian semolina. Semolina is made from Durum wheat which has low gluten content... which is good up to a point. See this Wiki link
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durum> which says:
Durum wheat is used extensively in breadmaking. However, it is unusual in that, despite very high protein content, it is low in desirable gluten needed to form a glutinous web necessary for bread to rise. As a result, although 100 percent durum wheat breads do exist, such as pagnotte di Enna or "rimacinato" bread from Sicily, as well as others, in most instances bread doughs contain only a portion of durum wheat and are supplemented substantially with commercial white flours, often those higher in gluten necessary to offset the poor gluten contribution of durum flour. When durum flour is used as the sole flour in bread, substantial additions of isolated wheat gluten are necessary for rising to occur. Without it, 100 percent durum wheat breads are often heavy, with very close grain, and will split easily when risen for baking.

Also...

Commercially produced dry pasta, or pasta secca, is made almost exclusively from durum semolina. Certain home made fresh pastas (pasta fresca), such as orecchiette, cavatelli, and malloreddus, also use durum wheat, while others, such as tagliatelle, use only soft wheat, often "00," or a combination of soft and hard wheats.

Chuck Norcutt