Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:27:27 -0700
On 4/18/2015 5:33 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
Thanks, Moose. I guess I should learn that whenever a camera comes out that finally has
the features I absolutely must gotta have, I should refrain from buying that camera and
wait for the next version. Or I should revise my philosophy of "Use it 'till it
rots."  :-)

I'd change the latter - well, I haven't had that philosophy since early in the digital revolution. It seems to me directly opposed to having fun and getting the images I want. I've got a pristine OM-4Ti, which will remain that way pretty much forever. So ...

The E-M5 was a game changer for me. I can't imagine having used the 60D for all
this time.

So after a couple of years, they improve almost everything about it, why not take advantage? It's not like they could do then what they can do now, and were sandbagging us, or can do now what they will be able to do. They should have waited? They've already warned those who want the high rez mode that that function will be much quicker in the next OMD.

And that may be a game changer for some. The headline is "HIGHER Resolution!!! Competitive with the Nikon D850!!!" The quieter, at least as important subtext is about accurate color. It's been clear since the Foveon sensor appeared that Bayer array sensors do funny things to color at the pixel level and, of course cause moiré patterns in fine detail. The new HD mode doesn't just move the sensor for higher rez, it moves it so that each pixel is sampled by each of the three color sensels.

When they can do that in 1/60 sec., that will be revolutionary for many uses. If I were a studio product/food/etc. photographer, I'd jump on the Mark II. The things it does for color and weave detail in fabric are like magic.

I don't have any sort of full report, but they've improved/fixed pretty much everything. The IBIS is quite noticeably better at long tele, and supposedly for macro, too, which is a big deal for me.

My biggest complaint is that, although they made the on/off switch location MUCH better, it's still not as convenient and intuitive as the GX7.* Randomly, the EVF is better, shutter shock problems are gone, control wheels are thicker and better placed, there's an AF lock Fn button where Chuck wants one, more physical Fn buttons than I have any use for, dedicated ( but reassignable) DoF preview button, and on and on ... Although it won't satisfy AG and others who need a very deep grip or a big brick in their hands, :-) the grip has been subtly, but usefully, improved for my hand.

And So On Moose

* I know, Chuck, but you haven't actually used a GX7. Both my Panny µ4/3 bodies have superior on/off switches. My fingers seem to just know where they are intuitively. One hand operation, without reaching across the body.