Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:53:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      Yes it does.  We proved that back in the B&W thread where the RAW
>> photos came
>>out exactly the same regardless of the Wratten filter that was used.
>
>Lens filters CAN and DO make a big difference if you are needing to do
>correction to equalize the RGB sensels. This is very evident when you
>do highlight or shadow recovery.
>
>Most camera sensors do not saturate equally. And even if they did, you
>still have an issue with derived colors. In really, all colors are
>derived colors, no matter what colors they are. Huh?

     <<SNIP>>

     Yes, experienced all that and at that time came to the very disappointing
realisation that digital B&W is only possible when not using glass filters.
Fortunately, I can across FilterSim and DXO FilmPack and can pretty much do
what I had desired from the start, just not in the manner that I became used to
with film.

     However, I can correct for colour temperature with 81 and 82 series
Wratten filters instead of changing the internal colour temperature setting,
which suits me fine.  The plus side is that I only need to take a small set of
ND, 81, and 82 glass filters with me.

     This reminds me that I need to return to becoming familiar with GIMP and
see if it will accommodate the PS7 Wratten filter actions.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson