Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: "tOM Trottier" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:40:47 -0500
Raw files are what comes from the camera.
Does not matter what lens, filter, lighting, or even if fingers in front.

Peace, tOM Trottier 613 860 6633

2015 Feb 23 - Mon at 13:04      re:Re: [OM] Spotmeters …
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote

>I don't consider a filtered image to be a raw file... at least not as
>the manufacturer intended it to be.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>

>On 2/23/2015 11:34 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>>>       Yes it does.  We proved that back in the B&W thread where the RAW
>>> photos came out exactly the same regardless of the Wratten filter that was
>>> used.
>>
>> Lens filters CAN and DO make a big difference if you are needing to do
>> correction to equalize the RGB sensels. This is very evident when you
>> do highlight or shadow recovery.
>>
>> Most camera sensors do not saturate equally. And even if they did, you
>> still have an issue with derived colors. In really, all colors are
>> derived colors, no matter what colors they are. Huh?
>>
>> Let's take a pure red. Photograph it. If you look at the actual data
>> stored in the raw file, you'll see the red sensels getting
>> measurements, but the green and blue sensels at or near zero. However,
>> once converted, the three sensels are combined and a fuzzy math
>> applied to the conversion and red is no longer red. The histogram you
>> are looking at is almost certainly not that of the red sensels, but of
>> the red channel of a combined RGB pixel.
>>
>> Still think I'm smoking dope? Well, do this. Put a Red #25 filter on
>> the lens of your digital camera and take some test pictures. Be VERY
>> careful to meter the scene before you put the filter on and take an
>> unfiltered shot. Lock the exposure down, shoot it with the filter.
>> Now, let the meter do its thing and shoot it again. Have fun doing
>> some +2/-2 brackets. Open the files up in your favorite raw converter
>> and start looking at your histograms. In fact, why don't you try doing
>> a monochrome conversion.
>>
>> That is what is happening with your lovely flowers.
>>
>> "Mommy? Why are those red tulips turning yellow?"

-- Absum! -- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

                   tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633
                tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   Skype:Abacurial
            114 Clarendon AV, Ottawa ON Canada K1Y 0P9
           http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
        P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ?
              Do you really need to print this email?
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any
     manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder
    in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein,
     the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately
             lead to the heat death of the universe.