Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 08:45:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I always carry an old General Electric PR-1 in the field, but for
>> flowers I just
>>take a number of photos at various speeds to bracket the exposure.  I
>>couldn't do that
>>with film as it got pretty costly for the developing, so I got pretty
>>demanding about
>getting the exposure just right the first time.
>
>I find that flower photography and digital cameras are even more
>demanding on exposure than with film. Film will tend to "self
>attenuate" the out-of-gamut stuff that digital just isn't able to cope
>with. I don't know about you guys, but I have to pull exposure a good
>stop with digital and pull the exposure up in "development".

     My greatest problem is with flowers that are dead white, particularly
Sacred Datura (Datura wrightii).  The brilliant white flower is in direct
contrast with the dark green foliage, and trying to get a decent photo is a
maddening experience.  I have found by trial and error that the best way to
deal with such a contrast is to use a diffuser (or full shade) to reduce the
amount of reflected light, take a decent photo to capture the texture, then
brighten it later to restore the overall view without washing out the texture.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson