Re: [OM] The E-M1 arrived yesterday afternoon a day early from B&H

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-M1 arrived yesterday afternoon a day early from B&H
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:05:53 -0500
I don't like the E-M5's power switch either but I'm glad they didn't use the GX7 as a model. The GX7 gets away with that position since the switch is around the base of the mode dial. But the E-M1 has that space reserved for the rear control dial. Changing the locations of the front and rear control dials (made possible by the grip) is what makes the E-M1 such an ergonomic improvement over the E-M5. But I suppose the power switch could have been positioned under the E-M1's mode dial, preferably (I think) on the front side.

Don Holbrook sent me a bunch of links regarding the E-M1 one of which is the Imaging Resource review <http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1/olympus-e-m1A.HTM> The review is highly complementary of the E-M1 *except* the location of the power switch. The reviewer says:
Power switch on left side? In one last note on the top left controls, the placement of the On/Off switch on the left side is an odd and -- I think -- incorrect choice. With the power switch on the right, which is conventional placement, it's possible to take a camera from a bag or from a position slung on a camera strap and to bring it up into shooting position while flicking on the power with one finger. This isn't possible with the E-M1, and either two hands -- or one hand and an awkward reach-around -- is required to switch the camera on. I can't stress enough how much I dislike having the power switch on the left side of the camera and I think many photographers will feel the same.

You're apparently one of those people who feel the same. I don't really care and assume that the power switch is where it's at for better use of space in the already crowded right side. If I have ever needed to switch on the camera simultaneously with withdrawing it from it's bag with one hand I don't remember it. My camera is generally hanging from a neck strap and I grab it with 2 hands when I pick it up.

I'm a left-eyed shooter and the positions of the control wheels on the E-M5 make them difficult to use. The E-M1 resolves that for me. I should still practice on changing to right-eyed shooting since my right eye is a bit stronger and the AEL/AFL (focus for me) would be a bit easier to reach if I did. However, it's difficult to break 50 years of camera shooting habits. I still like my E-M5 but I'm already loving my E-M1 and I haven't taken anything more than a couple of test shots.

Chuck Norcutt