Re: [OM] The E-M1 arrived yesterday afternoon a day early from B&H

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-M1 arrived yesterday afternoon a day early from B&H
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:17:48 -0800
On 1/29/2015 5:52 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
As a N*kon user I never turn the power switch off.  It goes into standby
after some period and that's how it stays - even for days/weeks in the
camera bag.  (IIRC my first DSLR (D70) used 2mA in Off and 3mA in Standby.)
How do the OM-Ds behave in Standby?

I'm trying to remember why I started turning my cameras off.

I treated my Canons like you do your Nikon. In fact, if one was turned off with the switch, I'd at first panic, thinking it was dead. I think that may have started with the 300D, which had a significant start-up time from off, but not from stand-by - maybe.

I seem to recall that the E-M5 had the IBIS going all the time the camera was on, and that ate batteries, so I learned to turn it off a lot. Then a firmware change (or my discovery that a menu setting was different than I thought? a combo?) stopped that behavior.

It's still different than the GX7. The Oly activates IBIS when the release is pressed half way, which stabilizes the view - v. nice for long lenses. The Panny doesn't turn IBIS on until the release is pressed for a shot. I've speculated that this is one reason why the Panny battery is lower capacity and physically smaller than the Oly, but lasts longer in use. I like the longer battery life, but sometimes miss the steady view @ 600 mm eq. when framing a shot.

The E-M5 does have a sleep mode, which does work fine; press the release and it's awake and shooting. I guess I don't trust it to sufficiently reduce battery drain. I do have it activated, and it does kick in, but battery life still isn't stellar. So I still tend to turn it off when it won't be in use for a while. The Auto Off setting is just stupid. It does completely turn the camera off and waking it up requires turning the physical switch off, the on. Hopeless in the field, at least with the switch where I can't seem to operate it without looking.

Panny Sleep seems closer to Off than with the Olys, (Manual says, "[Sleep Mode]The camera is automatically turned off") which may be another reason it's battery lasts longer*. It doesn't have a separate Auto Off function, nor seem to need it.

But, unfortunately, press the release when asleep, and a Sleep Cancel message splashes across the now lit display. Then it takes a second press to focus and shoot, which slows down the first shot. OTOH, the GX7 power switch is so perfectly placed that I can pick up the camera one handed and have it on by the time it hits my eye.

On or Off Moose

* My comments on battery life are what I believe to be true from extensive use in the field, but not tested in any scientific way.