Re: [OM] I got tired of waiting...

Subject: Re: [OM] I got tired of waiting...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:10:17 -0800
On 11/28/2014 9:36 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Chuck, the hood from the 12-50 is actually designed for the 9-18. It doesn't provide as much coverage on the 12-50 as would a dedicated hood for that lens.

Do you know this to be true from testing? Just assuming from focal lengths? I don't have that impression, and think I tested with finger, hat, etc. Those two lenses do indeed take the same hood.

Oly has a long history on OM of using the same hoods on lenses of different focal lengths. You'll see several here. <http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/lensgroup/hoods.htm>

Those I've personally used successfully include the 51 mm slip-ons for 35mm/F2.8, three 50mm model and, 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5, the 49 mm screw-in for 40mm/F2, 85mm/F2, 100mm/F2.8, although only on the two longer lenses, and the 57 mm slide-on for 90mm/F2 Macro, 135mm/F4.5 Macro.

The thing that makes this possible is variation of the distance from front lens node to filter ring. The angle that a hood covers is dependent on both shape/size of the hood opening and distance from the front node.

I did some relatively casual, but useful to me, testing back in film days. Then, I could take off the camera back, lay the camera on it's back on a light 'table' and lay a piece of paper, waxed paper, ground glass, etc. on top of the hoof. I could then see an image of the film gate at the front of the hood. It then easy to see if it is vignetting or under covering.

My experience was that Oly's hoods were indeed proper for the various lenses
they said they were for.

A hood for a zoom almost always is only fully effective at the widest focal length. The OM Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 is an exception, where the lens gets longer to go wider, I also have a 28-85/4 Tokina zoom that does the same thing, and recall one other, the brand/model of which escapes me at the moment.

This isn't a factor for these two lenses; the 9-18 does change length, generally getting longer as it goes wider, but it takes the hood with it as it zooms. The 12-50 is internal zoom, fixed overall length (the better to be weather sealed.) Because they are zooms, one still sometimes needs a hat or some such to augment the hood at longer focal lengths.

Deep hoods and narrower angles of view on long lenses make this a factor less
often on a lens like the 75-300.

I have a $10 ebay one that works perfectly fine and I will switch back and forth since the two lenses won't be carried at the same time. Olympus is _really_ lame not to include a piece of plastic that would cost them pennies to provide with a $650 lens.

I have several JJH hoods, and a couple of genuine Olys. The much less expensive
JJHs seem just as good to me.

I almost went for the same deal as you but instead took a chance on ebay. Mine
will be here today or tomorrow.

Wheee! You'll cure like the size/weight for hiking.

Eyes Wide Moose