Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:12:02 -0800
I've said it many times: in today's environment (and even that of 5 years
ago) management allowing development of any software product within a
company that requires a specific browser/java/proprietary hook is grounds
for a change in management--and possibly development staff as well.
Especially if it's destined for client use (rather than strictly internal).

Doing so, contrary to what one might think, arbitrarily limits one's
market, adds to support issues over the long term, and increases the time
and cost of improvements or patches. It's often done in the name of locking
in the customer, or because personnel involved have no real knowledge of
platforms other than the most common--Windows.

Using the existing globally accepted standards are a much better bet. They
allow a company to be able to remain more agile and competitive, and keep
costs lower over time.