Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 13:59:15 -0800
On 11/4/2014 1:42 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
It's the difference between closed, for profit, software and open source.
Gotta hereto those paid upgrades coming via forced obsolescence for the
former.

      As time goes on, more websites are incorporationg features that require
Win7+ and IE9+.  But, I can access them all with Firefox without having to
abandon WinXP, and now Firefox lets me keep using Win98/SE for webmail access.
Neither Win7+ or Linux will let me use my older engineering software, so those
are not an option.

I know this is outside your desired path, but you might want to check out Windows XP mode in the Windows Virtual Machine that comes with Win7 Pro and above. It looks like an awkward thing to set up/configure, but is intended to deal with exactly this problem.

I have a couple of programs that won't work with 64 bit Win7, but my round
touit for that project hasn't arrived as yet.

I do have an extra hard drive for the laptop with Win7, but it has trouble
working with the laptop as the hardware is designed for WinXP.

I tried an SSD. No dice with my old 98 oriented hardware.

Big Bits Moose