Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:20:50 -0600
On 11/5/14 07:12 : , ChrisB wrote:
I hope, Chris, that nothing on the Internet requires anything Microsoft.  It’s
probably a slip of the keyboard in this post, but I don’t think that you *need* IE
(any version) for any Internet facility.  MS was late to the Internet party and with IE6
tried to impose MS standards on the browsing public, but now there are too many decent
browsers available for IE to have the influence that once it might have done.

Chris

Well, that's not quite true. It may also depend on any applications at your place of employment. We have several clinical apps where I work (hospital) that absolutely require IE. Our radiology PACS (imaging) system for one. If I want to open the viewer from home, it MUST be on IE and have a specific flavor of Java. The management page can run on my iPhone (and I use that quite often - it lets me not be shackled to my house during on-call weeks), but if I want to open either the same image viewer and dictation client that the radiologists use, it has to have IE as the default browser on the machine.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Berthold Auerbach