Re: [OM] Exposure compensation dial and hoodman Was Re: A7 adapter arriv

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure compensation dial and hoodman Was Re: A7 adapter arrived. First impressions.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:06:17 -0700
On 9/24/2014 7:54 AM, Hughes wrote:
Of course the OMs had a prominent compensation dial....

Well, kinda, sorta. The OM-1s has no such dial, adjustment is in the viewfinder.

Not easy to knock because of location and the co-located film speed dial, you
have to lift to move.

Location next to the pentaprism hump and a stiff detent meant no trouble on the
OM2s

One subtle change from OM-4 to OM-4T(i) was to the exposure compensation dial. Somehow, in spite of a fairly stiff detent and the need to lift to change film speed, its location out on the far left led to unintended film speed changes all too often for some folks. Happened to me. Just looked at my latest used 4T - and it was set at 80 ASA, which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be 100. The 4T dial is slightly thick/taller, and doesn't do that.

The A7's one, has a stiff detent,I haven't manged to move it accidentally yet.
My p/s has a program dial I am always knocking, so it annoyingly gets into the
wrong mode, when I don't expect it.

A common enough problem. One reason I prefer the E-PM2 to the E-PLx models, no mode dial to get unintentionally moved. As I almost always shoot in A mode, I prefer a few menu clicks to go Manual over random settings. :-)

OTOH, the Mode dial on the GM1 doesn't seem to get randomly reset.

Dial A Moose