Re: [OM] Converting Raw files

Subject: Re: [OM] Converting Raw files
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:33:42 -0500
> DNG is the native raw file for all Leica cameras.  It makes much more sense
> for me to convert everything else to DNG.  I don't think Leica is going to
> change formats anytime soon.

That's a different kettle of fish. DNG for Leica and Pentax cameras
use the "DNG" label, but are still the native format to the cameras.
The dirty little secret is that every DNG camera file format is still
unique and not interchangeable.

For example, a DNG file for a Canon 5Dmk3 raw image is mapped
differently than a DNG file for a Nikon D800.

This is not obvious until you try to open the DNG file with another
converter other than ACR and it reveals that the potato soup is still
a little lumpy.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx