Re: [OM] Converting Raw files

Subject: Re: [OM] Converting Raw files
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 14:43:56 -0500
Bob (Nickle-Dime) Whitmire wrote:
> My sense is that the only thing offensive about Lightroom is that it’s part
> of Adobe’s Evil Empire. As an interface it’s fairly simple, reasonably
> intuitive, and incredibly powerful. Porting over to Photoshop from LR, or to
> one of any number of third-party thingies, i.e. onOne, NIK, etc., is
> effortless and provides a lot of avenues for post processing as reasonable
> costs. At least they are reasonable now. My mileage may vary as time passes
> and we get used to the subscription thing, and the monthly prices starts
> north. There’s a point past which I shall not go, I just don’t know what that
> point is yet.

I'm kinda of the opposite here. I refused to pay the excessive price
of Photoshop. As you amortize the cost of the upgrades out over a
period of time, it is a seriously expensive proposition. I wasn't
willing to spend that kind of money on software where adequate
alternatives existed. Some of you have spent thousands of dollars with
Adobe.

I know what people, like Chuck, are saying about jumping off the
upgrade/subscription bandwagon, but if that REALLY is going to happen,
then they would have done that ten years ago. It's like people
claiming that this brand new digital camera will be the last one...
Yeah, right, Bub. Not gonna happen.

So, along comes the subscription model. It has opened up a world of
new customers for Adobe. For every existing customer who feels jilted,
there are those like me who find it reasonable to spend $10 per month.
While the ARPU is lower, the quantity is so much greater. Besides,
let's be honest, Photoshop pretty much hit the wall about two versions
ago with almost every photographer. The only reason why most upgraded
was because they were forced into it for features like "content aware
fill" and upgraded ACR to support new cameras, or run on the latest
version of Apple computer.

Will the subscription price rise? Possible, but probably not likely.
Adobe has been lowering prices over the past two years. They may try
jacking me for $20 per month when my current one-year subscription
runs out, but I'll just let it expire and will jump on the next
introductory or "save the customer" offer.

So, that's one reason why I'm converting any files to DNG. DNG is
Adobe's native raw file format which is poorly supported by anybody
else. DNG is an Adobe trick to capture the customer.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx