Re: [OM] Converting Raw files

Subject: Re: [OM] Converting Raw files
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:11:34 +0930
On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 02:43:56PM -0500, Ken Norton wrote:
> So, along comes the subscription model. It has opened up a world of
> new customers for Adobe. For every existing customer who feels jilted,
> there are those like me who find it reasonable to spend $10 per month.
> While the ARPU is lower, the quantity is so much greater.

The retail price of Photoshop is over $1k in Australia - and has been
for many years - that's nearly 10 years of subscription...  long after
many 'new photographers' have taken up their next big thing :)

I know nobody ever pays retail, but how much have users paid* to upgrade
across, say, 10 years?

* ...and how many have just pirated it? I recall one client who called
to get help because one of their branch sites (on the end of a 2Mbit
MPLS tail) was inaccessible, and local users were also unable to access
shared resources on the state HQ networks. From our monitoring software
I was able to track it down to one user's laptop - turns out they had
installed a 'downloadz' site photoshop at home and got a 'surprise
package' in it (a botnet trojan that required a machine reformat to get
rid of). That said, a few weeks later the same site went offline (I
thought: here we go again!) - turns out the branch manager had a shiny
new m@c and thought it was a *GREAT* idea to back it up to iDr1ve - no
idea of the concept of "gigabytes"... :)

davidt