Re: [OM] New cam jitters--what utility do you use to transfer files?

Subject: Re: [OM] New cam jitters--what utility do you use to transfer files?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 02:01:10 -0700
On 5/17/2014 9:55 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
I don't understand any of this, Mike. Here is a bullet-proof version of getting
RAW files from my camera into my computer:

1) Turn camera off.
2) Take out the SD card.
3) Put SD card into card reader connected to computer.
4) Copy the RAW files from the card to a suitable directory on the computer
using the OS copy...paste command.
5) Verify that the RAW files are in the destination directory.
6) Erase the SD card.
7) Remove the SD card from the card reader.
8) Insert the SD card back into the camera.
9) Turn camera on.
10) Reformat the SD card.

Repeat as necessary.

All very solid, but for a couple of things.

Most important is back-up. My images may be of no monetary value. But they are of great value to me. And, I've spent time, effort and money on gear and on being where I take them.

For years, I did much the same, except:

I read the cards every day there were more than a handful of shots.
I further backed up the files to a portable hard drive, kept in a different
place/piece of luggage from the computer.
I used multiple cards not formatting any one until both full and all other
cards full.

This gave me two copies of all files and three of many by the end of a trip. This redundancy has saved my from potential losses, mostly user error, I admit.

Lately, I've gone to large capacity cards, three 64 GB and three 32s. That way, I can go on a month trip with three cameras and possibly not have to change a card. I'm also experimenting with not taking a computer and using a gadget to copy the cards directly to the HD.

Moving my computer life to the iPad in a way that works for weeks at a time, is turning out to be a challenge, but I may persevere unto victory.

The second thing I don't much like is simply the multiple manual steps. When I come back from a long day out to our small RV and making dinner, or to someone else's house, where I want to be able to interact with them, I quite like just inserting card and letting an app put the files where they belong.

One Step Moose