Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 20:16:26 -0500
Chuck, I have been using Firefox 28 in most cases, but I need to check to see that I have all of the proper protection blocks checked. I switched to IE today, and it seems a little better.

In the first day or two that I had the new computer, I visited some free photoshop plugin sites that I had used with the last XP machine, and tried to download the appropriate 64-bit plugins. In the process, along with all of the pop-up offers that appeared, I let some stuff get downloaded. I signed up for Reimage, and have used it twice to rid the machine of the worst offenders, but a few remain. Today, pop-ups appeared with the LUG gallery, with no way to close them without enabling a download.

All told, I try to close all offers of free or recommended downloads. I had one yesterday that appeared to be a normal suggestion from Firefox, and it was loaded with problem software.

Be careful out there.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA