Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 08:36:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>However, those that are using Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus just
>had a nasty surprise -
>Microsoft disabled it on "XP D-day" to force the issue.
>
>If you want to maintain antivirus protection, you have to go with a 3rd-party
>vendor now.  I have two
>friends' machines I have to take care of this week. When I saw that on mine (I
>just use it for when I'm
>on call), I just rebuilt the machine with 7 and got on with life.

     I wouldn't use any security stuff from Microsoft to begin with.  There's
little to no guaranteee that they are not manipulating things to gain access to
your machine innards, which virus and spyware writers will later take advantage
of.  I've been using AVG or Avast! for antivirus and Spybot for spyware years
now and I'm thoroughly happy with them.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson