Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: WinXP Security Update
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 16:33:18 -0400
If Microsoft were going to rip you off it would be embedded deep within the OS and not in the browser. Both AVG and Avast! have been banned from my machines for years. I don't recall why Avast! was banned but it may have been a performance problem. Whatever it was I was unhappy. AVG I remember quite clearly. Too much dependence on pattern searching algorithms that led to false positives which caused (over time) 60 Windows system files to be *quietly* banned to the quarantine folder. They were a system failure waiting to happen. When I discovered it I ran three other AV checkers against the quarantine folder and none said there was a problem there. I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials ever since. I look at MSE in a much different way. If Windows succumbs to viruses no one has more to lose than Microsoft.

That said, you'd think they'd be much more careful with IE. You're much more likely to get infected my malware these days via the browser. Viruses are old hat. But in partial defense of Microsoft this last bug was truly devious. To get to the bug in IE it was necessary to come in the back door via a vulnerability in Adobe Flash.

Chuck Norcutt