Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 22:15:06 +1300

A brief update on my desk-top machine.

I have it back but have not
plugged it in yet.

Trevor, the computer man said he

Installed a 40GB
IDE drive with a fresh install of XP, to be my boot drive.

He added
100% RAM

He installed a card to make it possible for my IDE
motherboard to read ATA drives ( I purchased SATA drives as backup to
use in the toaster I connected to the NewEgg card which gave me a SATA
connection to the toaster - rather than use a slow USB connection).

think he put my un-used 500GB ATA drive in the spare bay inside the box,
having transferred all my DATA directory to it from my WD back-up from
10 months ago.

As I understand it, it is now up to me to transfer
other directories to the 50GB drive. Directories such as Originals,
Program Files, Pegasus mail ...

I think he is still trying to, as he
put it, work down layers in my original HD to identify files. This drive
has a lot of material that the 10-month old backup does not have.

Meantime, he had had to give up on the public health system to fix a
stuffed hip joint, and is looking at spending $23,000 for a private
hospital operation ...

He is in agony with his hip.

Brian